Today is the professional holiday of glass industry workers
The date of the celebration is associated with the birth of the world famous scientist Mikhail Lomonosov (1711-1765), who was one of the founders of porcelain and glass production. People learned to melt glass about five thousand years ago in Egypt and Phoenicia.
For the professional holiday of glassmakers, manufacturers of art glass, we have updated the subsection of the site "Glass Art and Ceramic Art".
- 55 centuries - this is the age of the oldest glass specimen;
- in the 18th century, factories already existed that produced more than a million bottles a year;
- the cost of glass the size of a book in the 17th century was equal to the annual budget of a middle-class noble family;
- nowadays, glass is the only material that can be recycled countless times;
- crystal was invented by mistake when the English glassmaker George Ravenscroft accidentally added the wrong ingredient to the glass melt;
- "Murano" (Venetian) glass got its name in honor of the Venetian island of Murano, to which all Venetian glassmakers were send. Initially, such a resettlement was carried out for the purpose of fire safety, later it became clear that the artisans did not have the right to leave the island in order to preserve the secrets of their glass business.