Firma “Sazikov”

The history

In 1793 in Moscow Pavel Fedorovich Sazikov, a native of Pavlovsky Posad, founded a firm specializing in silver items production both for the church and secular purposes. Over time, the successors of his business became his two sons Ignatyi (1793 -1868), Pavel (1815 -1856) and grandchildren.

 The highest quality and artistic level of the products helped the company get an opportunity to become a supplier for the court, and the stylistic non-triviality - the company "Sazikov" was first to appeal to the "Russian style" - allowed to significantly expand the business. In 1845, in St. Petersburg, Sazikov founded a factory, and a year later a shop was opened on Nevsky Prospekt.

 The World Exhibition in London, held in 1851, brought the company world success and recognition. Jewelry works were always far cry from the mass culture, whereas the exhibits presented by Sazikov impressed with the originality of their plotlines, demonstrated the brightness, originality and diversity of the "Russian style". The set of items collected on the motives of the Russian peasantry life was so realistic and at the same time beautiful, that immediately attracted everyone's attention.

 The gem of the collection, which received a gold medal at the exhibition, was a sculpture dedicated to the victory of Russian soldiers on the Kulikovo field with the image of Dmitry Donskoy, the boyars, the ophiuchus and the horseman who carried the message of the victory. The splendor of this work made the firm known in Europe, and Sazikov started to receive overseas orders.

 In 1867, at the World Exhibition held in Paris, I.P. Sazikov demonstrated to the public the traditional Russian techniques of working with enamel, exposing an icon of the Smolensk Holy Mother in a silver setting with precious stones.
Sazikov's factory was equipped in the best way, in work he used the most modern technologies and attracted to cooperation the best masters from Russia and abroad. The factory also opened a jewelry school.

 In 1887, the factory and stores were sold to Khlebnikov’s firm.

Exhibits in the Museum Collection