Born in Moscow, in the family of Moscow Imperial Theatres’ bureau director. His parents insisted that he must study at the medical faculty of Moscow University in 1862, but having studied for two years, he quited. In 1864 he left for St. Petersburg where he was enlisted in the Imperial Academy of Arts for sculpture classes as an external student.
A year later, he left for Paris, where he started self-education, studying the works of art and actively communicating in artistic environment. Had been working as an apprentice under the French animal sculptor Antoine-Louis Barye, during this period created the sketches from life in the Zoological gardens. In 1870 returned to Russia and resumed classes in the Academy. In 1872, he received the large incentive medal for the statuettes "The Dog", "Bashkir Horse" and "Lion Devouring a Gazelle". In 1898, for his "Snapping wolf", "Dog", etc. was awarded with the title of academician.
Repeatedly traveled abroad, mainly to Paris. Was awarded with a silver medal at the Paris World exhibition in 1900. Lived in St. Petersburg. Animalist, author of genre compositions, mainly of minor forms. In the 1900s worked in the field of decorative and applied arts. Created the sculptural decoration of the fireplace in the dining room of the Contemporary art Association together with Matveev in St. Petersburg (1903). Known for his works in ceramics and majolica: plateaus, vases, as well as models for the Imperial porcelain factory.
Performed a number of monumental works: bust of Catherine the Great for the monument erected in front of the building of the Town Obukhov hospital in St. Petersburg (bronze, opened in 1888), the bas-relief of "Battleship "Alexander III" in the Tsushima Battle" for the monument in St. Petersburg in honor of the sailors killed in the Tsushima battle in 1905 (bronze, opened in 1908). Participated in the construction of the monument to Bogdan Khmelnitsky in Kiev upon the project of sculptor M. O. Mikeshin (1888) and took part in the competition for the monument to M. I. Glinka for St. Petersburg (1903). His model of the monument "The Capture of Gunib by Apsheron Regiment" was demonstrated at the exhibition of the Academy of Arts in 1893. Created the images of cupids on the Imperial Singing chapel facade in St. Petersburg (1900s), sculptural decoration and armature for Borodino bridge in Moscow (1912). Author of A. G. Rubinstein portrait (1889), made by order of the Committee for celebration of the 50th anniversary of the composer’s artistic activity. He was a member-partner of the Imperial Society for the artists’ encouragement (1874), a member of the Union of Russian Artists (from 1909) and a founder member of the artistic Association "World of art" (1910).