Kurlyukov firm

The history

Kurlyukov Orest Fedorovich (1845-1916) was an owner of a well-known silver ware factory, founded in 1884 in Moscow. The silver handicrafts of high artistic merit with precious stones and crystal and artistic glass table utensils were created there. The firm developed actively at the turn of XXth century and was closed after the Revolution in 1918.

The company reached its prime in the 90s of the XIXth century, when it cooperated actively with the K. Ruckert’s workshop and K. Faberge's firm. The factory was located at Vorontsovskaya street, and later at Kurlyukov’s private house in Kolpachny lane, and the branded Kurlyukov's store – on Ilyinka, in the famous house of Khludov.

In 1895, the company products were awarded with the medal of the Ministry of Finance "For Diligence and Art". 40 people worked at the factory in 1901, in 1914 - there were 63 workers already. The annual turnover of the firm was 100 thousand rubles in 1907.

Kurlyukov Orest Fedorovich - the owner of the factory, the merchant of the 2nd Guild, was elected the head of Moscow merchants’ social stratum since 1897, was the Deputy for the supervision of manufacturing items from gold and silver in 1892-1998 and a member of Moscow commercial court.

Orest Kurlyukov firm produced a wide range of products, including silver items, in the so-called original Russian style, richly decorated with enamels, iconic artworks, silverware and luxurious precious utensils, in Art Nouveau style as well. The works in this "modern, contemporary" style were extremely popular in Moscow at the turn of the 20th century .

It is important to emphasize that since the late 30s of the XIXth century historic styles in decorative and applied arts began to reproduce the styles of bygone eras. It was apparent in gold and silver works: firstly, the recurrence to Rococo forms and ornaments secondly, search of Russian style, by imitating the creations of ancient artisans. All the above mentioned contributed to the development of a particular interest for such popular in those days techniques as enamel, niello work and filigree.

After the death of Orest Kurlyukov in 1916, his son Nicholas Orestovich Kurlyukov proceeded with the business, but after the revolution, the factory was closed.

Exhibits in the Museum Collection