Thematic exhibition “The museum Collection recent acquisitions”. Video tour
Under difficult quarantine conditions, museum Collection continues to acquaint you not only with the main exposition, but with temporary ones as well.
We have prepared a video tour of the thematic exhibition "Recent Acquisitions", which opened in our museum in early March. This exhibition not only acquaints the audience with the number of scientifically and artistically valuable exhibits for the first time, but is a kind of the museum creative report on its activities in the field of research and search for art treasures.
Russian and Western European Decorative art items, dating back to the 19th – 20th centuries that enriched the collections of silver, glass and ceramic artworks were selected for display.
Brief information about the items presented at this exhibition.
The oldest of the presented objects of Russian arts and crafts are the casket and the vase ornated with casted putti figures. They belong to the first third of the 19th century, to the Empire style, and demonstrate the sophisticated combination of glass with the details from patinated bronze, characteristic for this style.
The items produced by one of the oldest St. Petersburg jewelry companies, Nickols&Plinke, date back to the 1840s. They are – plate for truffles realized in the Russian style, in the so-called “imitative” technique, as well as the distinctive items from the tea set “transformer”.
Glass art products of the 1850-1880s represent the varieties of the Historicism styles. Paired decanters made of translucent colorless glass with complimentary cobalt coloration, decorated with enamel painting in the Neo Rococo style, highlight the Bakhmetev factory production - one of the largest private glass factories in Russia. The magnificent vases of blue opaque glass, made in the Oriental style during the reign of Emperor Alexander II, feature the activities of the Imperial Glass Factory in the period of the 1860-1870s. The same goes for the flask bottle made in 1864. The Chinese porcelain vessel that belonged to the crown Prince Ivan Ioannovich, the son of Ivan the Terrible, served as a model for it. Decorative plate with polychrome image of a double-headed eagle, realized in the Venetian style by the artisans from the Imperial Glass Factory, dates back to the 1880s. The items manufectured at the enterprise earlier are represented by two caviar serving bowls that date back to the 1840-1850s. They were made of multilayer laminated tinted glass, which was mastered in the second quarter of the 19th century, and uranium glass, that was produced since the 1830-1840s.
Dated back to the 19th century mug of colorless glass with “ruby” flashed glass (the Imperial Glass Factory), as well as the paired single flower vases, weaving together colorless and flashed glass, bronze and guilloche enamel are noteworthy as well.
Last third of the 19th – early 20th centuries are represented by diverse products of jewelry firms. Thus, the collection of C. Faberge that is presented in the museum exposition was supplemented by two teapots dating back to 1908-1917. They were manufectured by artisans of the firm Moscow branch. The cane handgrip, made in the Neo-Russian style in the form of a fairy-tale character holding a bird, is particularly original. This cane handgrip was also created by Moscow branch of the firm in the period from 1908 to 1917.
Petersburg master A.F. Petrov is the author of a cup decorated with polychrome enamels that dates back to the last third of the 19th century. The workshop that worked with various typed of enamels and was famous for the high quality of its production, collaborated with the firms of Grachev and Faberge.
The Classical style cigarette case presented at the exhibition, was created in the period from 1908 to 1917. It is an example of the famous Kiev factory of I. Marshak production. The works of this enterprise, which competed with C. Faberge firm, are currently rare due to the small number of preserved items, presented in various museum collections, usually in single copies.
Paired vases created by Ivan Tarabrov Moscow workshop, whose products were much less preserved than the works of his brother Nikolay Tarabrov jewelry workshop, complement the existing collection of crystal items in silver setting.
The Museum replenished the collection of silver artworks by the items created by Moscow silver plated workshop of S. Ikonnikov (caviar serving bowl, 1850s) and St. Petersburg silverware workshop of N. Yanichkin (miniature ladle, 1888-1895).
European applied art is presented in the exposition by several objects created in the middle - second half of the 19th – early 20th centuries. They are - goblet in the Historicism style, made of copper ruby glass and mugs with fancy lids resembling a crown; the Art Nouveau style decanter decorated with thistle and irises; manufectured by Daum Freres toiletry box of tinted laminated glass, complementing the Galle-style glass collection. Of particular interest is a rock crystal vase that dates back to the early 20th century, made especially for the Moscow branch of Boucheron Trading House, the Russian Imperial court supplier. The vase ia a real rarity.
The faience jug of the first third of the 19th century, most likely of English production, presented at the exhibition is a collector's piece. The jug is ornated with the images of Cossacks, prototypes for which were two engravings of 1813 by the unknown English engraver, created following the drawing of the artist Aleksander Orłowski and published in London.