Russian Glass Art and Ceramic Art

Leaf-shaped dessert cup from Saint George set

    Leaf-shaped dessert cup from Saint George set

    Russia, Verbilki settlement, Dmitrovsky district of Moscow county

    1777-1778

    Gardner factory

    Porcelain; colored overglaze painting, gilding

    Height 5 cm; neck diameter 10.7 х 9.2 cm; base size - 5.0 х 4.8 cm

    Blue underglaze mark on the bottom in the form of letter "G" (large size).

    further...

    Leaf-shaped dessert cup with irregular neck edge, on circular leg of irregular contour, with one stem-like handle. The vessel body is decorated with a picture of Saint George Order on the ribbon twined with laurel. Image of a star is on the bottom internal side. The neck edge and the tray are trimmed with gold; the handle is painted with golden color.

    minimize...

    The present object is a rare sample of Russian porcelain of the 18th century produced by Russia's first private porcelain factory. The piece comes from the first of the four famous Order Services made to Empress Catherine the Great's order for annual parties of knights of Russian orders: Saint George Order (1777-1778), Order of St. Andrew the First-Called, Order of Alexander Nevsky (1778-1780), and St. Vladimir Order (1782-1785). The services were used once a year, during the knights' parties of the relevant orders, from the point of their manufacturing to the beginning of the 20th century. It is from the time of ordering and manufacturing of these services that the history of private entrepreneurship in the field of porcelain manufacturing starts in Russia, and the Order services themselves become one of the symbols of the Russian porcelain. D.M. Yakobashvili's collection also contains plates from the Saint George service. Some plates were made at F.Ya. Gardner's factory in 1777-1778; others are classified as the so-called "additions" to the service, making up for lost items, - they were made in the middle of the 19th -at the beginning of the 20th century at the Imperial Porcelain Factory and the privately-owned Kornilov Brothers' factory.

    Инв.490/ДПИ