Russian Metal Artworks
Production of Russian jewellery entered the period of prime and rapid development in the middle of the 19th century. Russian gold and silver jewellery school was brought to light during the First World Art and Industrial Exhibition in London in 1851, whereupon works of Russian jewellery firms became the mandatory participants and prize-winners of world exhibitions. Beginning from the second half of the 19th century, the landmark of Russian silver artisanship was skilfully made tableware; siver framed crystal and glass pieces got everlasting popularity and became fashionable.
The precious silverware was designed and manufactured by the leading jewellery firms, purveyors of the Russian Imperial Court (Carl Faberge, Bolin, the Grachev brothers, Ovchinnikov, Khlebnikov, Postnikov, Kurlyukov, Lyubavin), and multiple jeweller associations of Saint-Petersburg, Moscow, Kiev, Odessa, and other cities.
The production of nearly all above-mentioned artists and associations are presented in the Museum Collection. The collection gives full idea of the scale and level of development of this type of craftsmenship. All exhibits are characterised by original design and brilliant jewellery work.
Ashtray (salt-sellar) in the form of a dolphin
Fabergé firm, Rappoport workshop
last quarter of the 19th century
Petr Milyukov silverware factory
Coffee set with Moscow sights and monogram "OC"
Kurlyukov firm, Maria Semenova silverware factory
Gusev Crystal Factory, Khlebnikov factory
Bowl for sweets
Vase for flowers
Bowl for sweets
Silver master Ilya Ivanov, Armory Chamber workshop
Glass holder with glass in the Modern style
Glass holder in the Russian style
middle of the 19th century