Russian Metal Artworks
Production of Russian jewellery entered the period of prime and rapid development in the middle of the 19th century. Russian gold and silver jewellery school was brought to light during the First World Art and Industrial Exhibition in London in 1851, whereupon works of Russian jewellery firms became the mandatory participants and prize-winners of world exhibitions. Beginning from the second half of the 19th century, the landmark of Russian silver artisanship was skilfully made tableware; siver framed crystal and glass pieces got everlasting popularity and became fashionable.
The precious silverware was designed and manufactured by the leading jewellery firms, purveyors of the Russian Imperial Court (Carl Faberge, Bolin, the Grachev brothers, Ovchinnikov, Khlebnikov, Postnikov, Kurlyukov, Lyubavin), and multiple jeweller associations of Saint-Petersburg, Moscow, Kiev, Odessa, and other cities.
The production of nearly all above-mentioned artists and associations are presented in the Museum Collection. The collection gives full idea of the scale and level of development of this type of craftsmenship. All exhibits are characterised by original design and brilliant jewellery work.
Kuzov Semen Petrovich
The 15th Moscow jewellers' Artel
Set of four forks
early 20th century
Silver craftsman Ilya Ivanov
Nikols Karl & Plinke
D. Orlov workshop
Custody (Latin: Custodia, box for a seal)
second half of the 18th century