Russian Metal Artworks
Production of Russian jewellery entered the period of prime and rapid development in the middle of the 19th century. Russian gold and silver jewellery school was brought to light during the First World Art and Industrial Exhibition in London in 1851, whereupon works of Russian jewellery firms became the mandatory participants and prize-winners of world exhibitions. Beginning from the second half of the 19th century, the landmark of Russian silver artisanship was skilfully made tableware; siver framed crystal and glass pieces got everlasting popularity and became fashionable.
The precious silverware was designed and manufactured by the leading jewellery firms, purveyors of the Russian Imperial Court (Carl Faberge, Bolin, the Grachev brothers, Ovchinnikov, Khlebnikov, Postnikov, Kurlyukov, Lyubavin), and multiple jeweller associations of Saint-Petersburg, Moscow, Kiev, Odessa, and other cities.
The production of nearly all above-mentioned artists and associations are presented in the Museum Collection. The collection gives full idea of the scale and level of development of this type of craftsmenship. All exhibits are characterised by original design and brilliant jewellery work.
second quarter of the 19th century
Money box with miniature lock and key
V.S. Semenov's silverware workshop
E. Cortman firm
Bolin firm, K. Linke workshop
Fedor Lorie firm, Crystal: BACCARAT firm. Casing: Egor Cheryatov gold and silverware factory
Fedor Lorie firm, Egor Cheryatov gold and silverware factory